Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Are you a good Guitarist? (Part 1)

I have often come across people who ask me "How to become a good Guitarist?" Well, I think the answer to this question is not short... I myself took years to answer this question. The first and foremost thing one should learn to do is Practice, Practice and Practice! People also ask me this question, “I practice a lot, and still I’m not good. WHY?” I say you must admit to the fact that “Practice only when your practice is perfect!” :) Like you have done, I have also read lots of articles on improving one’s playing. But seldom are we told much more than “Practice”!! In my long journey of becoming a successful guitarist I came across few findings what I think I must share with you guys. I believe below guidelines have proven to bring great results:

1) Educate yourself! There’s no end to knowledge. No matter at what stage you are at today, you must always try to learn new things. If you have enrolled yourself at in a music program, you are going right. If you feel your music teacher is not helping you reach your goals I recommend you to change the teacher. Believe me it’s very important to find a good teacher! You don’t need a teacher to just give you information or things to practice. You can get those things anywhere…
2) Listen to more music you like! Search for the same music you like. There might be numbers available you haven’t heard yet. I’m sure this will inspire you to a much good level. Check out internet radios and music sites that have music in the style you like.
3) Turn your music frustrations into a motivating force! I know at times its really tough… you can motivate yourself if you believe you can play anything.
4) Believe in yourself. This is very important. If you get stuck in paying difficult notes just don’t give up. One day you will get it. Trust you inner conscience.
5) Becoming a better guitarist means becoming a good musician. You must learn to think out of the box! Apart learning guitar specifics: chords, strumming, notes, etc., try giving some time to non guitar techniques like song writing, creativity, ear training and music theory.

No comments: